Sunday, September 6, 2009

Bread # 9 - Cinnamon Raisin Walnut Bread




The Finished Loaves


This Cinnamon Raisin Walnut Bread marks my first loaf after my month-long hiatus from bread baking. The look was a bit rustic, but the flavor was wonderful. It had a hint of sweetness from the cinnamon-sugar swirl in the center of each loaf, but it was not cloyingly sweet. For my money the walnuts were the best part. They were not overpowering, and when you did get one, it was a welcome little mouth surprise. I used halves and did not chop them. I just threw them in right from the freezer. I was a little nervous about now thawing them out first, but the dough was such a strong one, and we were having such hot weather here in San Diego county, that there were no ill-effects from the frozen walnuts.


I also substituted a little more than half the flour with whole wheat. I did not notice the absence of the white flour. I am re-committing myself to using more whole grains and less of the refined.


I'd say this was a fine loaf to come back to.



Ready for the oven.


In the Oven


A little blurry, I know, but it is beautiful nonetheless.





3 comments:

  1. Hey welcome back, you bread baker you! I have been baking bread only for one year using the Cook's No-Knead method and love it! Haven't bough a loaf of bread since 2008 and don't miss it either. Love your pics too.
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job! I did the same thing - mixed in some whole wheat flour. I didn't do the swirl, but next time I will.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome back. Thanks for the incentive to start substituting some whole wheat for all this white flour we've been eating. I needed the push! Your loaf looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete